View Single Post
Old November 9th, 2008, 10:29 PM

post-surgical seroma, guilty mom

I am a new member, feeling a little distraught after this week with my 9 yr old pit bull mix. She was a rescue at 4 mos old after a car accident and subsequent amputation of her right leg. Since several years ago she has licked and worried at her belly near the amputation site to the point of numerous antibiotics, the e-collar for extended periods, Science Diet D/D and antihistamines for allergies. This last time her antibiotics did nothing, and her belly was hard and swollen with a tumor like area. My vet who has followed her since forever decided to take it out. It seemed simple enough, I trust him, and so he did. The poor girl came home with an enormous incision, evidently she bled enormously, and over the weekend i've watched the area become darker and darker red. The incision oozed blood. I called the vet twice, then took the dog to the emergency room. They are calling it a seroma, possibly infected. Other worries though--her remaining hind leg is edematous, her belly is full of edema (though the vet doesn't think she is bleeding), and the incision looks awful with clotted blood. Basically the emergency vet seemed to think the surgery should never have been done, a more comprehensive work up should have happened first (perhaps she is full of cancer and we just put her through a major surgery), and my vet could be a really bad surgeon (or just got in over his head.) I am distraught with grief and fear and anger that I did the wrong thing, that I didn't ask enough questions, that I let her down. ANd that she won't be okay. Does anyone have any experience with this sort of post-op complication? Thanks!