View Single Post
Old November 10th, 2004, 07:42 PM
Herbie the Love Pug's Mom

The "Super Circus" will be in Montreal from Christmas day to the 29th. I urge everyone to boycott it along with the Toronto circus!

When I was 6 years old, my dad took me to the circus. At this event, I saw an elephant crush his keeper... I later found out he crushed him to death. I then heard that the elephant was promptly shot. All I can remember, and these are the impressions of a 6 year old without pre-formed biases, is the look of sheer terror and despair in the poor elephant's eyes. He had been pushed, abused, forced to retaliate. It was a defining moment for me. I remember feeling far worse for the elephant than I did for the humans involved with the circus... I vowed at that moment to care for animals in this world and give them the respect they DESERVE. I knew this animal was not at fault - it was the humans who destroyed his majestic spirit.

Animals are not put on earth to tickle us humans' fancy. They are here to live a life of mutual respect with other life forms. Evern if we cannot prevent the massive disrespect of animals and nature that humans deploy on Mother Earth on a daily basis, we can at least boycott blatant and flagrant displays of such disrespect. Please, take your children to the Cirque de Soleil instead. Better yet, take them to a library and teach them about animals in their natural habitat. Let's stop this madness for once and for all!

- Woodrow Wilson