View Single Post
Old November 5th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandy View Post
Wasn't saying or implying that you "beat your dog" but IMO, grabbing a dogs legs and pulling them backwards is definitely physical.

Each person has different ideas of what will or will not work in training a dog. I personally try to keep my training based on positive reinforcement rather than negative reinforcement or isolation and if I ever had to hire a professional trainer, I would look for one that practices those methods. Good Luck!

I'm pretty bog on positive training methods and think they should always, always be the first thing to go to. I also think that each dog is an individual and the more skills and types of knowledge one has to work from to tailor fit an approach to the dog in question, the better.

All that said, if you're in a situation where you have to break up a fight between strong, determined dogs, I think you do, as calmly and quickly as possible, what you need to do to breakup the fight before too much damage is done. Physically intervening in a scrap does not, to me, speak to a persons normal training philosophy