View Single Post
Old November 8th, 2004, 09:53 PM

I'm sorry if I offended anyone, I didn't miss your point. I do agree that people shouldn't have to bribe their dogs with treats, and that they should work with treats on more of a random ratio type of method. With my own dogs I use just a clicker, and buckle collar, and have an 10 month old english mastiff puppy who walks perfectly next to me.

The problem I had with this post was that people were assuming that PetsMart and their trainers use this bribery method, when in reality the majority of them don't. I don't, neither do any of the trainers in my area. We are the same trainers that volunteer at the ASPCA on the weekends, and help out adoption centers because we want to work in different training areas, than just basic obedience.

I don't think you should have to bribe a dog to do things, but sometimes a strict treat ratio works with really problem dogs. I'm not saying it's an always situation, but by saying EVERY dog will work without food just isn't always true. One of my dogs will, the other one won't. My bloodhound, who is as stubborn as hounds go doesn't respond to anything besides praise, and his rubber frog pool toy. This is a form of bribery, as it is his motivation.

In training methods will be different from trainer to trainer, and schools, but I wish that people wouldn't discredit a store, or trainer because of the establishment. Check out your trainer, no matter where they are, and make sure their personality matches with your own, and the methods you want to use with your dog. The best trainers are the ones open to different ideas and methods, and willing to work with you to find the method that is right for your dog.

Again, I don't mean to offend anyone, and it's your right to disagree with me, I just wanted to give an bit of insight to those people who aren't training professionals who want to know about different training programs.