View Single Post
Old September 24th, 2008, 03:15 PM

Thanks for all the advice! I'm wondering if we are crating him too much - please tell me...

Overnight - he sleeps in his crate
6:30am - I let him out, take him outside for #1 & #2, a little play then back inside
6:45 - 7:00am - he goes back in his crate while I take a shower (he's not housetrained, so I can't watch him) - he whines and even barks a couple times
7:00am - 7:30am - I let him out, he rests by my feet in the bathroom while I get ready
7:30 - 7:50am - he goes back in his crate while my fiance drives me to work (again, not housetrained so we can't watch him)
7:50am - 2:00pm - he is out of his crate, napping, playing, going outside for business & walks & play
2:00 - 4:30pm - he is in his crate while our work schedules overlap
4:30pm - I let him out, take him outside for his business & walks & play
All evening, he is out of his crate napping, playing, eating, going outside for business & walks & play

Yesterday we started feeding him his meals in his crate (around 11am and around 6pm) and I also started hiding treats in there. Since I did that, he is going in it much more often during the day & evening (door stays open). Also yesterday I practiced putting him in, close the door, sit, lie down, then treat. I sit by his crate and he just stares at me until I open the door (only a bit of whining).

We recorded him when we left at 7:30am and he was very high-pitched whining & barking for 5 straight minutes until he calmed down. I don't want him to do this, even if it's normal because we live in a condo & could disturb the neighbors. He didn't do this when my fiance left at 2pm, but he puts him in his crate with the door closed for about 1/2 hour before he leaves. I can't do this in the morning or else he wouldn't be out of the crate at all except to do his business.

Anyway, sorry for the long post - I'm a first-time dog owner and clearly very concerned. Thanks in advance!