View Single Post
Old August 22nd, 2008, 03:00 PM
chronically insane.

*urgent!* FeLV+ !!!! (long!!)

I realllyyy need everyones help. Some hugs wouldn't hurt either :sad:

I brought 5 kittens to the shelter I work at back in June. These kittens where 'the white kittens'. These are NOT the same 'grey kittens' I have at my house right now.

Well they are all dying off from FeLV. That is a HUGE problem because those kittens mother would be Jack and Buddy's mother. Jack is likely NOT affected as he has been in the house for many months and already has been cleared for FIV/FeLV (NOT tested! Just cleared by the doctor saying so).

Buddy is allowed outside though near his MOTHER which is likely a FeLV+ carrier. We are EXTREMELY upset now as we do everything we can to take proper care of everyone, but how can we be sure Buddy has not caught FeLV from being in close range of his mother? Also, Three Legged Missy is outside as well. She does not come in, Buddy does though.

Three Legged Missy was impregnated by a different male cat then Buddy's mother. I am 100% certain on it. The male care that impregnated Three Legged Missy was sent to the county shelter. If he had tested + for anything, they would have contacted me, and they didn't and the ACO would have mentioned it as well, but he never said anything.

So Three Legged Missy had the 5 kittens before she turned friendly (and then we got her spayed!). She is in perfect health. Her babies had upper respiratory infections, but they were cleared up for Clavamox. I asked the vet tech Jessie about this. She said had they been FeLV+, they would NOT have gotten better and would have died, like the kittens at the shelter.

So as it goes now, male A impregnated Missy, was sent to the county shelter and they never contacted me about him testing positive for anything. I believe he was put down because he was vicious. I am 100% that the county shelter would have been in contact with myself, the ACO and the man who was trapping the cats and said "HEY you've got FIV/FeLV in your neighborhood!". But they have not reported any problems.

Male B that impregnated white mommy cat is still on the loose. I believe I know what cat it is, and it was the cat who some of my neighbors neglected and abused. This cat has likely never seen a vet in his entire life, and is not neutered

As of right now, if anyone has brought it in or spread it they all my cats and foster kittens (here or gone) are at risk. At the moment, it seems we have an extremely low risk of it, but still enough where the shelter is having me bring in my cats to be tested.

The white mother cat is not showing many symptoms. From looking at her, she looks like crap though.

All of my cats are in 100% good health. The initial exposure would have taken place aprx. 6 months ago. Atleast ONE of them would have shown SOMETHING by now.

The FeLV+ kittens were never in my house. All of my previous foster kittens from outback that I adopted out are all in good health. I am in contact with every single adoptive parent and they have all been to the vets and declared healthy.

I have some hard decisions to make though.

My options if the white mommy cat is an FeLV+ carried

1. Try to relocate her to an FeLV+ colony
2. Euthanize her.
3. ?????? Any other options????

What if BUDDY is positive?
1. Leave him outside?

What if Three Legged Missy is positive?
1. What about her kittens?
2. Keep her outside?
3. ????????

Let's put it this way, MY CATS ARE COMING FIRST. If that means white mommy cat is a + carrier, I will not object to putting her down. I can not be responsible for her possibly infecting the whole neighborhood.

For the MALE CAT who impregnated white mommy cat, he was abandoned by his owners. I do not know if I can legally do anything about it at this point.

I am in contact with the NJSPCA and I am likely going to be pressing charges against the owner of the un-neutered male cat for neglect.

HELP ME :sad::sad::sad::sad: WHAT DO I DO? I've been really good with doing the whole quarantine thing and I've done testing in the past and so far everyone has been negative.

I know I might have just confused everyone with my rather large cat family tree sorry about that.

Tripod is Three Legged Missy's brother. He has been tested in the past and was FIV/FeLV-. That means she was as well. Since the male that got her should be negative as well... hopefully I have not brought FeLV into the house.

Again, all of my cats are healthy and have been healthy since forever. The kittens were sick but were cleared up with Clavamox. That I am told is a good sign as FeLV kittens would have just died.

PLEASE REMEMBER I am still young and I know I act pretty mature for my age but not for something like this. I really just need a reality check and don't scare me by being like "oh yeah there going to die" or something.

Buddy is getting tested tomorrow. The shelter offered to get me the FeLV vaccine very cheap. They don't usually carry it but they said for me they would order it and sell it to me for as cheap as they can and not charge me for anything else. They are being very nice and helpful and they said right now the risk was low, and something would have shown up by now for my cats , they would like to test them anyways for 25$ a test.

I've heard lots of bad things about the vaccine though. Is it worth it?

If Buddy tests negative and Three Legged Missy tests negative, I am either bringing them into the house or getting the vaccine. They hate being in the house but I really don't care as long as I keep them healthy.

I really wasn't expecting this.
little kittens that are dying from this

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009