View Single Post
Old August 12th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Doggie Wench

Blaster1985, I also have a dog that charges/lunges at the fence. What works best for us is we taught her the "upstairs," "inside," and "let's play" commands (we vary them depending on who and what is going on on the other side of the fence). She gets too aroused to listen to the 'come' command.

At first, we taught her the commands with no distractions until she had them 100% using high-value treats she only gets for those particular commands. For approximately 1 month, we accompanied her each time she was in the yard with a 3 foot drag line attached to her collar. When a dog would walk past the fence, I said, for example, "upstairs." If she didn't comply (I only say it 1 time), I picked up the leash and took her to the top of the stairs by the back door, ran her through a few commands, and then treated her. She was not released until whatever she felt threatened by had passed.

We're at the point now that while she may still sometimes charge the fence, all it takes is me saying "upstairs" (even from a window) and she immediately runs to the back door waiting for the next command. Even better, there are times that when she sees something arousing, she runs to get her favorite toy and zooms around the yard waiting for me to play with her. Indirectly, by training her, now even our other two dogs come running straight for the door (if there's another dog on the other side of the fence) waiting for me to run them through commands .

Originally, I did try 'claiming' the fence but, naturally, she could outrun me . There were also two occasions where she turned to nip me (redirected frustration) so I soon realized this method would not work for us.

I hope you find a way that works for you and your dog .