View Single Post
Old August 11th, 2008, 12:51 PM

"While you are trying to let the dog know that the fence is yours - the dog is likely to ignore you completely or be REINFORCED unintentionally or it becomes a game of trying to evade you and get to the fence... Not to mention, that most dogs learn that when you aren't in proximity they can revert to barking/charging.
I do not see a problem with using your body as a barrier/interruption between your dog and her trigger but it won't work alone IMO."

A dog will learn that the fence and the area belongs to the human, same principle as teaching a dog what to chew/not chew on. over time they understand what things are acceptable. the dog will certainly not ignore her if she stands in front of her and moves towards her as she is reacting. it is impossible for the dog to ignore you if you are in her line of sight (esp. her target...aka the fence)

i totally agree with your logic for a command to usefor when people are there, but a standard recall command should work there, no need to train a new one right?
BUT that doesnt help if no one is around.

it also does nothing in the dogs mind to change her feeling that she has to control the gate. THAT is the issue here IMO, the dog feels that she is controlling the entrance to the house when she should KNOW that the humans control it.

just my but i dont feel like a command will do the trick.

"While you are training a call off cue, I would take her to the fence and have a volunteer walk by. Reward her the instant your friend walks by and continue to do so until your friend is out of sight (even if she is getting a few barks in). Do this a couple of times and she will start looking to you instead of barking"

im not sure rewarding her even while barking wont just confuse the dog, isnt that a mixed message?

im not a positive training guru or anything, just seems like mixed signals for the pup.

only.