View Single Post
Old July 30th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriM View Post
I think most people give it orally mixed in with the food. My dogs get a spoonful each day and Lucy's ears have been great .
Macie seems to be develping chronic problems with her right ear and I'm debating trying some coconut oil...but I'm confused by two things:

1) It's saturated...and below 76 F, it's solid? If applied topically to ears, do you have to melt it to get it into the canal? Or do you just rub some of the cocoa butter in the ear and let the body warmth do the rest?

2) Teri, are you saying that Lucy takes hers by mouth and it still helps her ears? This would be perfect for us...

My main concern is, actually, Lil Belle. She's already licking Macie's ear raw if we don't watch her constantly...I'm afraid that if we use the coconut oil in that ear, Lil Belle will find it even tastier. Does anyone have any input on how the other dogs of a multidog family react to the topical application of coconut oil?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."