View Single Post
Old July 28th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenBev View Post
Thank you for your suggestions. I think we're going to enroll in some obediance classes to get started. Leo (my sweet coonhound-pic attached) seems to have had some sort of training in his past, because he is very well behaved in many ways, (doesn't beg, doesn't jump, perfectly housebroken) he just doesn't seem to know any commands except 'sit.'

I think that obediance classes will help us a lot, and will be great for bonding. I get the sense that he's very smart and I'm looking forward to being able to work with him to get some basic commands down. I'm just unsure of how to get started - he doesn't seem to be the least bit interested in obeying me unless I've got food in my hand. So, classes will benefit both of us.

He does have a VERY difficult time listening when we're outside - I can't even get him to make eye contact. He's way too intrigued by the sights and scents all around him.

I walk him twice a day but we haven't been able to go to the dog park yet because he isn't registered yet - i'm still awaiting the arrival of his papers, by mail, proving he's up on all his shots. Our yard is not fenced, and I don't feel safe letting him off leash.

First off! gorgeous!

Welcome to pets.ca!!

Classes is a great place to start! Best moeny I ever spent! have to tell you though its not for the dog its for you! really you will see! Did you say food motivated!! they all are!! no thats great because thats what will be happening in obediance classes..lots and lots of treats! Outisde you are on his turf! thats one that will come afte he learns some basic obediance! its tough till then! (my guy used to dig up my plants and prounce around the yard with them in his mouth all so proud! and I couldnt really run after him cause he would think its a game!!!! )

If he is not making eye contact then that probably means he knows where he stands in the pecking order! or perhaps he is just not sure yet! alot of dogs do not like to make eye contact! thats a great one I learned in class...getting the dog to look at you! I hear ya about off leash! I cant bring myself to do it unless its fenced yard! I could not forgive myself if my dog got away!

Enough rambling! Good luck!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown