View Single Post
Old October 21st, 2004, 03:46 PM

My answers are for my really large GSD puppy (8 months) but it probably won't change as she gets older. We've been doing it this way since she was old enough to go all day without needing to go potty.

Quote:
How often should you feed your dog? 2 or 3 times a day?
We feed 2 times a day. Once in the morning, and once at supper.
Quote:
How much do you feed a dog (I think some food packages have amounts)?
For 8 months old, we feed 1 1/2 cups dry (with 1/8 can moist) in the morning, and 2 cups dry (with 1/8 can moist) at supper. A younger puppy needs a little bit more (closer to 5 cups a day total). Our angel is a good weight for her age/size.
Quote:
Do you leave food out all the time, or give them a time limit to eat?
Diamond has a certain time to eat. If she walks away without really touching it, I'll pick it up, play with her to build up an appetite and then put it down about an hour later. She'll most often eat it then. If she walks away from it after chowing down, I'll pick up whatever she leaves behind.
Quote:
How often should they do their "business" (both pee and poo)?
Peeing depends on how much they drink. More active dogs may drink more and pee more because of it. Less active may not drink that much so may pee less (not that I would know that!) Pooping depends on how much she eats. She eats 2 times a day, so I can expect at least 2-3 poops a day. Once when she gets up with me for breakfast (if she doesn't go before bed that is), once after supper, and maybe once in the evening after running around all night. My angel will either poop before bed, or when she gets up...not both.
Quote:
How often (for regular visits) do you take them to the vet?
After all the shots are done....I'd think once per year is good, unless you want to check their weight. My vet's office likes to see us come in a weigh Diamond. They said "any time" we want to!
Quote:
Will the vet tell me what vaccinations are needed and when?
They should, yes.

Of course, I can't speak for every dog (owner), just me/mine. Each dog/owner is different. I'm by no means an expert, so this is all from my own experiences!

(by the way....no question is a stoopid one!!!)