View Single Post
Old June 26th, 2008, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radha View Post
No Growler, he hasn't. Does that cause similar rapid breathing? Presumably it would show up in a blood test? And hopefully, it is curable? Do let me know. Many, many thanks.

Duffy looks superb - at 17 especially, wow! My Sandy's beginning to develop kidney weakness I think and there just isn't cat food like Wellness available in India where I can hope for low phos diets etc. He gets Fancy Feast occasionally (we have it shipped from Singapore for him) because he loves it but for the most part, he's on fresh meat/fish/chicken that we steam/cook for him. I always think fresh food would be the best option but any inputs as my eternal youngster moves deeper into middle age would be great.

Also, who is the lovely black doggie on the right in your profile?
I'm not suggesting your dog definately has heartworm but it would be a good idea to have him tested.

Heartworm is a parasitic worm that infects the blood vessels & the adult worms infest the heart, it can cause rapid breathing, lethargy (tiredness/weakness), coughing, if severe enough & untreated can lead to death. It is curable especially if caught early and the infection is not severe. One of the most reliable and effective blood test is an Antigen Test for Heartworm, it will not show in normal blood panels and I see you've had a chest xray already that is always a good idea, sometimes the heartworm will not show in it though. Heartworm is present in India.

Thank you for the compliments on Duffy she is dealing quiet well with CRF & is on a raw meat diet, I think you're already going in the right direction with the fresh cooked meat diet Sandy is on. The black dog is my Cally, he was Dalmation x Black Lab & best buddy to Duffy for 6 years.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Last edited by growler~GateKeeper; June 26th, 2008 at 11:48 PM.