View Single Post
Old May 21st, 2008, 08:47 AM
Swift Tribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaekitty View Post
Update for my fish friends!

My 10g is complete - 6 Kuhli loaches and a betta. Will post pics for you soon, w4r!
just keep up with WC's in there!! a 10g is a little small for the kuhlis but with good husbandry they should be fine. into adulthood you may want to put them in the 65g though. ive done a little reading up on them since we last talked about them.

Quote:
My 65g (the one with the oddly-behaving pleco - some weird stuff is going on. I decided against the cichlids, since I've always wanted some larger tropicals but never had the room. So I bought two baby clown loaches and three two-spot gouramis.
could i suggest some dither fish?? something that catches your fancy and schools midlevel like some smaller tetras or schooling rainbows (threadfins maybe??).

Quote:
Status: One gourami died two days after purchase. Fish store has a good guarantee policy, as long as I bring the body in with my receipt. Unfortunately, the guy died Sunday evening, and the fish store isn't open until Tuesday, and I can't go until after work, so the poor little body has been locked in a tupperware bowl for two days. The other two seem to be okay for the moment - they kind of hide all the time, but they appear to be eating.
thats unfortunate. how did you acclimatize them? do you know the stores tank pH compared to your pH? you should always try to find that out so you know how long to spend acclimatizing them. did they pack the gouramis together in the same bag?? you can keep your dead fish for return in alcohol and they wont smell so bad.

Quote:
My pleco is feeling a little more at-ease, now that the clowns are in there. He's got a bit of a sore on his forehead - I think from trying so hard to hide under rocks last week. I'll have to keep an eye on it...maybe some extra water conditioner would help?
do you have live plants? if not a little bit of aquarium salt will help. maybe 1tbs/10g?? some plants can handle low doses of salt. how well aerated is the tank? can you maybe put a bubble wand across the back to move the water around more?
also making sure he has good cover will make him feel more bold. if you can prop a piece of slate up or bash out the bottom (file down the rough edges with a rock??) of a terracotta pot thats big enough for him to squeeze in?

Quote:
My two new loaches are attracting the cats big time! I fed them mid afternoon yesterday, and was alarmed because they didn't eat anything for the rest of the day...all they do is swim up and down in the corner of the tank, repeatedly, for hours! It's kind of weird, but the cats are mesmerized. Anyway, I woke up this morning and the shrimp pellets were all gone, so I'm thinking they may eat nocturnally and I should feed them after dark? What do you think?
youre probably right but if you want to feed them and SEE them eat, keep offering the food while you give them face time (ie train them to associate your face with food).

Quote:
Also, I think I'm going to replace the light bulbs, if I can. When the lights are on, EVERYONE hides, so I think they may be bad for them, even though I saw them in action with a huge herd of angelfish.
how many watts are the bulbs? what kind of lights are they? incandescent? florescent? it would have to be an expensive set up for you to have lights that are too bright.

Quote:
I really want to put my larger loach in there with his future best buddies, but with the death and everything, I just don't know if I should just yet.

Any thoughts?
where is your bigger loach now? i may missing something.... i havent had my second cup of coffee yet. did any one eat off of the dead one?

-ash

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)