View Single Post
Old March 24th, 2008, 04:12 PM

A few questions.

Okay, so after months of effort, I've finally managed to get my mom's dog, Baxter, on something resembling a healthy, raw diet. Here's what we've got on the menu so far:

- chicken necks and wings
- lamb neck bones and riblets
- goat ribs
- pork neck bones
- canned tuna (I'm trying to get her to work in raw fish)
- eggs
- chicken livers and hearts

She's getting 10 lbs of turkey neck next week as well.

Question 1: How does that look as far as variety, meat:bone ratio, etc.?

Question 2: When I was visiting home a week ago, I noticed that Baxter will flip over onto his back to chew on bones. I know he does this to get them onto his back molars so he can crush them. But my mom and I are both concerned that he could choke if a piece breaks off and goes down his throat. She's been taking bones away from him once he gets them worn down small enough that they're a choking hazard. I was worried about this effecting his calcium intake, so I bought her several raw lamb and beef shanks to use as recreational bones. Could he choke? Will the shanks make up for the calcium lost in taking away small pieces of rib bones?

Question 3: I made offal patties of canned green tripe, chicken hearts and livers. Baxter has stopped eating them. He hates mushy food, and won't touch anything that doesn't have substance to it. Any way I can get more offal into his diet?