View Single Post
Old December 12th, 2007, 05:56 PM

Back from the pet supply store

There wasn't enormous selection at the store, as I mentioned earlier. The owner of the store recommended the martingale collar (part material, part chain) as did my trainer. I also bought a 3-in-1 harness for in the car and walking, it hooks in as a seatbelt sort of thing. It doesn't fit Sola yet but should when she's a bit bigger. I figure if it doesn't work as a walking harness it can still be used in the car

I'm hesitant about the halti until she's a bit bigger as a few posters have mentioned, in case of injury. She's pretty inquisitive and darts around like any puppy.

I'm still a bit sketchy on the martingale and will read up on how to use it properly. The trainer who suggested it does have a great deal of experience (she has bred german shepherds and english springer spaniels for literally decades) so I don't want to discredit her advice... But I want to make sure I'm not hurting Sola of course. I will also try this in combination with the altering direction technique which was used in my puppy class this week.

Off topic--- she is also being socialized in this class, her new friend is a little cockapoo named Winston The dogs couldn't look more different.

Wish me luck! I need it!

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." -Unknown

Mom to:
Sola: 18 month old black lab/malamute
Luna: 2 year old Siberian Husky (rescue)
Millie: 2.5 year old tabby (rescue)
Layla: ?? year old calico (rescue)

Former mom to (RIP):
Nicole: Maine Coon cat 1985-1999
Poncho: Degu
Bibi: Degu
Josette: St. Bernard, childhood pet