View Single Post
Old September 3rd, 2004, 10:58 PM

Pit Banning

You know, it's funny because just a few days ago, I was having this very conversation with a friend of mine about dog biting. She was saying, although not proudly, that her Jack Russell Terrier has bitten, and drawn blood out of everyone the dog has come in contact with (myself included, thank you very much). To me, that is a problem. And yet, no one would ever ban Jack Russell terriers. The Honourable Mr. McGuinty (I have to call him that, he's kinda my boss ) said something about pitbulls "not letting go".. well, they can't! Some moron way back when thought it would be GREAT for fighting if the dog couldn't physically let go if its teeth weren't touching. Enter lockjaw, the most ANNOYING feature a pit can have, especially to a vet technician who accidentally got bitten during a routine exam, and the dog had to be put under, its jaw dislocated and put back, all the while my friend is sitting there, annoyed, and the dog looked more scared than anything else! He also said something about an angry or aggressive Chihuaua is not a problem. I disagree. ANY dog who is aggressive is a problem, no matter the size. They can still jump at your throat and do a number on your carotid or jugular. Granted, you might be able to slap them away easier than a pit, but it's still as dangerous.
Small dogs bite ALL the time, but who's going to want to read that? Pitbulls are the hot issue right now, because of "male machismo" and "tough guy" images. Big dogs have big jaws, therefore big bites, but there are far fewer large breed bites than small breed, but you'd never know it!
How about irresponsible breeders who sell these dogs to these people in the first place? If a twenty-something punk showed up at my door and demanded one of my puppies, I'd kick him to the curb. My favourite story is my best friend worked in a Pet Valu store, and this stupid idiot came in to get a weight collar (to make the neck stronger) for his 11 month old pitbull. She YELLED At him in the store, swearing and cursing, and kicked him out of the store. AND she didn't get fired, because her boss agreed with her. The dog was still a puppy, and he could cause permanent damage, but he wanted a "tough" dog. These people are being sold dogs by breeders? By stores? THey're allowed to rescue? HELLO????? How about inbreeders who cut corners and end up with unstable dogs with mental disabilities and instabilities? It's not just pits and rots anymore, it's golden retreivers and labs! Whatever's popular! There are growing numbers of goldies snapping at kids, and yet, no one reads about them, no one writes about them. But that pitbull down the street? The one that is so friendly that it's tail will probably break his own legs one day from waggins so hard! The one whose tongue is hanging out in a goofy grin, the one who walks on lead like he was born on it? Yeah, that dog'll kill someone one day. Some dumbass kid who'll come running to the dog and blow in its face because it's "funny". Some kid whose parents are going to leave him alone with the dog to pull on it whiskers, slap it's face or pull it's tail. It's not so much not to trust the dog with the kid, it's the kid with the dog. I don't let kids near my dog anymore. They do the STUPIDEST things when it comes to dogs, and I will not be held responsible for some stupid kid running at my dog while I'm walking her. I mind my business, mind your own. I choose to own a mastiff because I love them and they are gentle dogs. But any animal when provoked will defend itself. God knows humans do. We have enough stabbings in Toronto to prove that.
Mr. Fantino, solve our violence problem between each other, THEN tackle our "dog problems." I have enough to worry about with the thought that my dog will be taken away from me and put to sleep for being what she is. You will have to bring me down before you take my dog.

Ruffy