View Single Post
Old June 30th, 2007, 12:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun and Sand View Post
I checked out that website which scared me because it sounded all so bad.
Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry! I really didn't want to do that. Perhaps it'd be a good idea to look at this differently. First of all, that type of cancer is supposed to be quite rare, even more so in cats than dogs (I found this on another website): http://www.vet.uga.edu/VPP/clerk/frost/index.php
Quote:
In cats, bladder neoplasms account for less than 0.8% of all neoplasms.
So rather than jumping to such an exotic conclusion right away let's wait and see what your vet has to say. As quoted from the MarVista article:

Quote:
Bloody urine with straining can be caused by many other conditions besides cancer. A severe bladder infection, a bladder stone, or Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease would be far more common and must be explored first. In other words, reaching a diagnosis is a step-by-step procedure whereby the most common conditions are ruled out one by one until a diagnosis is confirmed.
And your vet hasn't confirmed if the cells are cancerous, so that's good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun and Sand
My cat was on some meds before for about 3 days and wasn't getting better. He has been on his new meds for about 2 days.
What kind of meds is he on? I know with antibiotics sometimes it can take a while to knock back a urinary tract infection. He may just need more time on whatever it is he's taking.

Quote:
My mom just called me to report (I don't live at home where my cat is) that she cannot find him. He is hiding again and she has looked everywhere. I am worried as his hiding means he is still obviously not better even though he seemed better when she picked him up earlier in the day. I think we are going to have to call the vet tomorrow and see what is going on, and in the meantime if she can't find the cat, he can't get his meds.
My cat frequently hides after going to the vet. He gets super paranoid that we're taking him back and anything we do, like putting on our shoes or picking up the car keys, gets interpreted as "oh know, their coming to take me away!!". Maybe some favourite treats or tuna would help lure him out. I wouldn't read too much into the hiding at this point.

Quote:
It's very frustrating because I live 2 1/2 hours away so I am not there. He is a cat I had since childhood and stayed at my mom's house when I got my own place. I just hope that he gets better but now I am very worried because he is hiding again.

I don't know what to do. I guess I will call the vet tomorrow and get more information and maybe tomorrow my cat will come out of hiding..perhaps he's just scared because of the ordeal he just went through? I can only hope that is the reason he is hiding.

Thanks for all of your support. I'll keep you updated.
Hang in there. I know how the worrying can just keep escalating until that's all you think about. I'm terrible when it comes to making mountains out of mole-hills with my cat's health, so my advice would be to take things as they come and not dwell on worst case scenarios. Odds are that this will turn out to be something manageable. Definitely let us know what you find out.