View Single Post
Old June 19th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

sugarcatmom,

That is some great advice! I like the AeroKat which can be seen at www.aerokat.com

Moosedry,

Dr. Phil Padrid has done a lot with asthmatic cats and given a number of lectures to veterinarians on feline asthma. This is one of his protocols:

Aerosol inhaler guidelines (These are GENERAL guidelines and are NOT meant to replace the advice of your veterinarian):

For mild signs (cough only): Flovent 110 mcg every 12 hours + Albuterol as needed.

For moderate signs (cough and tires easily with sleep disruption for client): prednisolone 1 mg/kg orally every 12 hours for 5 days AND Flovent 220 mcg every 12 hours + Albuterol as needed on an ongoing basis.

For marked signs (cough and dyspnea at rest with diminished quality of life): prednisolone 1 mg/kg orally every 12 hours for 5 days, every 24 hours for 5 days, every other day for 5 days AND Flovent 220 mcg every 12 hours + Albuterol on an ongoing basis.

So in summary - I agree with sugarcatmom and like the use of both inhaled flovent and albuterol. My patients that are on these inhaled medications respond well and the clients say that they have little problems administering it. Again the doses and medications should be specifically dosed by a veterinarian. I just gave the above only as a general guideline for you to understand how we as veterinarians can sometimes classify when and what to use with a routine asthmatic case.

Good luck.

Last edited by Dr Lee; June 19th, 2007 at 08:49 PM.