View Single Post
Old June 6th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Perhaps you can call the vet and inform him or her that she is still not well and outline the symptoms - my vet often will look at my cats for free if I just recently brought them in. Once you establish a long term relationship with a vet, they are usually very helpful unless they are not as compassionate as they should be!

It could be a reaction to the medication? This drug is not actually approved by Health Canada or the FDA for use by animals but is legal if given by vets for what is known as "extra label" use, ie a use not for what the medication was not originally intended and approved for. It is an anti-emetic - meaning it is commonly prescribed by doctors for humans with digestive illnesses, nausea and in many ER's as an IV med for migraine headaches.

In animals, metoclopramide (its generic name) may cause sedation, mild constipation and nausea. So, I just wonder if the med is the problem?

And if you cannot afford a vet, perhaps youi can work out a payment plan - it is much better to nip a prob in the bud early if it is something else. I am not a vet and my comments are just suggestions so I really think you should see or talk to a vet!!

I prescribe it quite often for cancer patients and I have taken it as both a medication that helped me keep food down when I had a partial gastrectomy (ie half my stomach removed) and later for chemo.

Last edited by CyberKitten; June 6th, 2007 at 11:42 PM.