Voodoo LOVES these treats, and they’re really an affordable option for clicker training small soft treats. You can vary the base puree to whatever your dog loves and mix and match for variety.
- icing piping bag with star tip OR freezer bag with ¼ inch corner cut off
- baking sheets
- nonstick spray
- preheated oven to 350 degrees
Choose one of the following:
two jars baby food (any type - beef broth is a big hit here) OR pureed can of chicken OR pureed can of tuna OR approx cup of pureed fresh liver OR anything else pureed that your dog might like - get out your blender and do up last night's leftovers!
- 1 egg
- 1-2 cups of rice flour (can substitute wheat, however rice is easier to work with)
- 1/2 cup skim milk powder (optional)
- 1/4 cup water
- Mix water, egg and skim milk powder (optional) into the puree.
- Add flour gradually, mixing until the consistency is of icing/oatmeal. Note: You want the consistency to be thick enough so that you can pipe it in a line onto a cookie sheet without the line spreading to the sides, and thin enough that you can squeeze it out of the bag without blowing up your bag!
- Spray cookie sheets with nonstick spray.
- Take the finished batter and load into freezer bag or icing piping bag, and seal.
- Squeeze loooong lines of treat batter about 1/4 - ½ inch wide and the entire length of the cookie sheet. You can place them close together because they will not spread like regular cookies.
Have your pooch friend lick your hands clean.
- Bake until they reach a rubbery consistency when poked with a spoon, usually 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, turn on to cutting board and immediately line up and cut width-wise into 1/2 inch bite size pieces
Let cool, and pop into a bag and into the freezer. Keep frozen until used – dogs love them frozen or thawed.
Makes 2-5 cookie sheets worth of lines.