Thread: So confused
View Single Post
Old May 2nd, 2007, 03:20 PM
Senior Contributor

The Panasonic DMC FZ50 is a 10 megapixel camera with a focal range of 35-420 that has good reviews. The lense is by Lumix.

I used the FZ20 - an earlier version - up until last Fall and found the colours coming out it to be fabulous and frankly, better than my more expensive Nikon D80.

As an all-electronic camera, the Panasonic is basically an alternative to getting a single lens reflex digital where you have to change lenses.

Price is about $800 to $900 and by the time you get a couple of filters, cards, better battery, etc you're probably in the $1000-$1100 area.

The resolution at 420 mm on the camera will be somewhat dodgy, although functional . . . . but you could say the same thing about the cheaper lenses you can get for a Nikon or Canon.

I currently use a Nikon D80 . . . . but I still use my Panasonic on occasion and I'll be taking the Panasonic to Italy in a few weeks as a lighter travel camera.

All of the pictures at this link were taken with the Panasonic.

http://www.goldentales.ca/summer.htm

Again, I use a Nikon D80 and with my lenses, batteries, filters, cards, etc, I'm currently kitted out at about $2,700. I'll be adding some upgraded, more specialty lenses later in the year, probably adding another $2,000 to the kit.

So . . . . . consider how much you want to spend on an SLR or whether or not you want the all-in-one kind of option I mentioned above.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca