View Single Post
Old February 17th, 2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodoll View Post
. it's absurd to assume all animals need their teeth brushed on a daily basis, you don't see wolves and rabbits and lions and crocs needing toothpaste and floss do you? that is because they are eating what mother nature intended them to, not little brown pellets in a bag, loaded with plaque-causing carbs and sugars
Animals in the wild may not use toothpaste or a brush, but they do chew or "knaw" on things that "brush" their teeth. A stick, perhaps... or even a bone leftover from lunch. Some might get injested, some might not. But the bottom line is that this texture scrapes the teeth somewhat clean. Now this isn't to say that dogs in the wild have excellent dental care. In fact, I would guess that it's quite the opposite and older dogs would probably suffer tooth decay or even loss.

Food does make a huge difference in your dogs breath, but often bad breath will come from the teeth as well (if not the stomach). If you're against using a brush with paste, simply give your dog a dental chew of some sort to scrape the plaque off, and this will help in the long, to prevent dental cleanings or emergency tooth pulling caused by decay (which does contribute to bad breath).

It's not always the food, but with proper dental care, if the problem persists, I would then assume it is the food. When we eat garlic, the smell of our breath comes from our stomachs. If we eat a lot of garlic, it will seep through our pores (I speak from experience - not good times!).

So little brown pellets, if chewed, will help to keep teeth cleaner, but we should still inspect and brush (or offer a dental bone of some kind) to make sure they stay in good condition.

My dog is still young, but people often ask me if I bleach his teeth. I can't help but laugh at the absurdity of that! I think I've brushed his teeth maybe twice.