View Single Post
Old September 16th, 2006, 11:29 PM

Whenever I see those screaming rampaging kids I always think how happy I am that they won't be coming home with me.

Having said that, I've been in situations where my kids weren't always great, not screaming or anything, but there are times where it's just not possible for them to be their usual awesome selves, like when we went to my aunt and uncles waaaaay up north and the car ride was making them cranky, and yet, we still had to eat, my mum has diabetes and if she doesn't eat at a regular time, at a nutritional restaraunt she can be dangerous on the road, if she were to eat at a fast food place chances are she could fall asleep at the wheel, too much sugar and fat, not enough of the good stuff, not good.

While close to home we barely ever take them to restaraunts, it's just not enjoyable for me and the hubby. Even the older kids aren't taken to fancy restaraunts, unless it's something special, mothers day or a close family birthday. When we do that we plan it very strategically, like we'll go early in the evening, just after the little ones wake up from their nap, so that they are hungry and not tired or cranky. We bring lots of things for them to do and my kids love to try different foods, so that helps, also, I don't stay for too long, we eat and give them dessert and we leave, no long drawn out meals where the parents are just sitting around talking, that can be saved for when we get home.

All of the waiters and waitresses we've ever had serve us have always commented on how well behaved my kids are, they're usually surprised when I tell them they are just two and that they're twins. Everyone always suspects double trouble, but I do my best to make sure that that isn't the case. I don't think I'm a mean parent, I just don't let my kids tell ME what to do.

I think there are a lot of people out there afraid of damaging their childrens emotional growth by being the tough parent, unfortunately, you can't have it both ways, either your the parent and you get the respect that you deserve, or your the mat that gets walked on. You can be sensitive to your childrens emotions without being treaded on, it's a delicate balance. There are a lot of people out there who didn't get hugged as a child and don't know how to deal with their kids because of little things like that. I was watching one of those nanny shows and the nanny is like, when you were a kid, did you like getting yelled at or hit? The parent was like, no, but that's all I know how to do, the nanny says, think about how that made you feel, now think about what it's doing to your family. It was like a light went on. Sad really.

Who's to say who's right or wrong, I don't mind the idea of adult only restaraunts, but I don't think that when you go into a family restaraunt that anyone should be surprised to find a pack of annoying kids either.

That was a lot longer than I wanted it to be.

BTW it's just my opinion.