I agree that you need to rule out allergies and fungus. Even with a culture, you can't be sure about fungus because it may or may not come back positive (we all have bacteria, fungus, etc., in our bodies - the point of the culture is to tell us if we have too much). I would ask the vet about a trial of antifungals and antiibiotics, but not at the same time.
This is just a gut feeling, but I would also consider something for anxiety. It's not uncommon for dogs to initially have a good reason for licking and chewing (fungus, infection, allergies, a foreign object), but after it resolves they will continue to chew. It's a doggie form of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. I have cockers and they do this quite a bit. I suggest asking your vet about Benadryl, melatonin, or the pet formations used for dogs who are afraid of thunder. It's really the same phenomenon even though it seems completely different.
Last edited by DRN; May 12th, 2006 at 12:08 AM.