View Single Post
Old April 6th, 2006, 09:10 AM

I have a little, hard to potty-train type dog too, I can honestly say that you really shouldn't wait to train. It just makes it so much harder in the long run, when they get used to going on the carpet it becomes a problem, and though you seem to be a patient person, it becomes harder and harder to remain patient as they get older. dogs can live for a long time, are you sure you want it being unreliable in the potty training for that long?
I think if you invest in a simple baby gate and confine your pup to an area that they won't be able to pee on the carpet while you can't watch, you'll be beter off in the long run.
I'm not saying that you're going to do this, but many dogs are given away because they never learn where to go. By training your dog from day one, you avoid this situation ever coming up. A lot of things can happen in 10 or 15 years, you might have kids and believe me, you don't want your babes crawling in doggy accidents, or the landlord upset about damages, or to have a partner who just won't put up with it, etc, etc.....