View Single Post
Old April 28th, 2004, 04:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank's girls! I actually spent a whole hour talking to the vet(her lunch-hour) after Chico was done.We discussed foods,vaccinations and flea-control.
She had just returned from a seminar on vaccinations and the need for it.
About antibodies etc...and how it differs from animal to animal.
Iams had a rep there and he was promoting their products and testing- facilities and I mentioned the Video shown here.She is very interested in seeing it,but has no intention of promoting or selling their foods,although Iams keeps trying.
She decided,Rabies-shots are needed only every 3 yrs,Feline Leukimia(SP?)also every 3 yrs,depending on the circumstances of the cat.But suggested occasional preventative blood-tests.
As for Flea-prevention,she considers Advantage to be the safest on the market,non-toxic,but did not recommend the 4 month injection,not sure what it was called,maybe "Contact".
Well,it was interesting talking to her,I got the feeling she was not pushing to make money,but had the cats well-fare in mind
She also had learned not to give all the vaccinations in one spot,mainly the loose skin on the neck,as it can cause problems tumors etc..
All vets probably have different opinions and a lot of the desicions rest with us,but I was very impressed with her today.