View Single Post
Old April 28th, 2004, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
I really don't think we are talking about working and herding dogs living on ranches who have jobs to do - at least they are not the dogs I'm talking about. These dogs are doing what they were bred and born to do and have full and satisfying lives.

I'm talking about people who keep their dogs confined in pens and garages (in cities and suburbs) for most of their lives. These dogs sit in solitary confinement all day while their owners work, and if they are lucky they might get 20 minutes of exercise when the owner has time. Then back into the pen for the night. They are treated like garden tools that are stored when not in use (which is most of the time)

This is no life for any dog and IS inhumane, as dogs are highly social animals. Actually, it's inhumane for any creature, which is why solitary confinement is considered harsh punishment for human prisoners. The main difference is that the dogs didn't commit any crime to deserve this.
If that "is" your point - why were you attacking RK? She does live on a farm... her dog is not confined...

But on that, is it any better or worse for those dogs to be left in the house alone? I have a dog and a cat so they are not alone when I have to work but that is not a luxery everyone has. So should a person that can't have a pet in the house and not be with them for company all the time not have a pet at all... even if they can provide good care and love? Have you been to a shelter? any of those dogs would rather a life with any "responsible" pet owner and be outdoor pet.

Do you stay home with your pets all the time, to make sure they are not lonely? Must be nice to have that luxury!