Thread: Peta
View Single Post
Old March 7th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Senior Contributor

now dont get me wrong, we dont kill everything that moves,but the problem of feral animals here is enormous. this has alot to do with our isolation, our critters are not very tough. and we have very strict licence requirements here for guns, it is very hard to get one and they all must be registered. the reason the horses are destructive is this -horses are hard hooved animals (cows and other hard hooved animal also a prob here due to wide spread erosion) and do alot of damage to soil structure ect, this is especially important for places such as frasier island as it is an island made completly of shifting sands, they can cause wide spread erosion, soil compaction in delicate areas and also compete for food sources with wallibies ect. they also pose threats to humans in that area as it is a small island with a high number of horses and tourists (but i dont really care about the humans). it is also a national park with the only remaining pure bread population of dingos left in australia (and lots of other special critters such as various ground nesting bird species like the little turn who has been desimated since more 4WD activity and the increase in horses), so yes it is quite a delicate ecosystem. erosion may not seem like such a big deal, but when you consider our soil types and lack of soil fertility (we have many thick heavy clays) erosion becomes a massive problem, we cannot afford to pour our soil into the water or have it severely compacted (this inhibits plant growth and organism production). and with the increase of habitat destruction and land clearing, no there is not enough room or food or habitat for wild horses, or other ferals.
and those mongrels that justify kulling roos, just so they can get better crops ahh they drive me wild. roos actually have many neat ways of controling their populations and during our current drought there is no need for it, they stop breeding in drought and their numbers thin naturally.
but luba, there is some fascinating history relting to our horses and other ferals also, they form part of how we got here and who our forefathers were. but still not good to keep them here. but very cool link,it is great when animals fit into the right ecosystem and are protected as they deserve.
but i have a deep respect for all animals, hey its not their fault someone dropped them off here, but i do believe they should be disposed of in the kindest, fastest and most respectful manner possible, shooting effectivly ect. does this, i would hate for them to do more wide spread poisioning, it is slow and sad not to mention the other native animals that are not meant to get it but do. sorry for length, but as you know i have too much to say and get a little passionate about certain things. think globally act locally