View Single Post
Old May 2nd, 2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazanne View Post
Hi. You've got a lot of suggestions above from people who likely know more than me, but I will share my current experience in the hope it may help you in some way.
Firstly - wean off the Apoquel. It's a dangerous drug that does exactly what you're finding out. You will need to regularly increase the dose until it no longer works at all. What it will have done in the meantime is supress your dogs immune system leaving him open to other conditions. Research this drug - it is relatively new and there are no long term studies (as in many years of use) but the known effects are what your dog is already experiencing. I refused this drug outright for my dog.
On a more positive note - I am working with a holistic vet on my dogs skin issue. She is currently on a non-processed elimination diet. She is eating a commercial (vet recommended) raw food that contains a novel protein for her - as in one she has never been exposed to before. In my dogs case this is rabbit, including organ and bone but nothing else added.
I am aware of the argument about dogs not needing vegetables - but the vet suggested cooked squash for fibre (my dog can't have pumpkin) and kale, green beans and blueberries (antioxidants) and also coconut oil. I am also giving a good pro-biotic to help her system make the transition. She has had pancreatitis in the past so I need to be gentle with her digestive system.
This was the advice I was given and I have no reason at this point to dispute it. But I am in the early stages of this diet so if problems arise I will most definitely make whatever changes are deemed necessary.
The most important factor in my dogs diet is the use of the novel protein and the veg/fruit are all novel to her too.
I am not trying to contradict anyone else who has commented, nor am I trying to push my regime on you - but it made sense to me so perhaps you may also see some wisdom in it.

Hi Shazanne,

thank you for your comments and your recount of your situation, I can definitely relate to you.

I've seen the "horror" stories etc of the drug and to be honest when I started him on this treatment I said to myself that I would take him off as soon as he had any adverse reactions to the drug, because at the time I was in a very difficult situation to solve this all on my(and my partners) own. The vets continued to give us potential solutions that were costly and not working so this was essentially our last resort at the time.

I don't, however, see increasing dosage as an adverse reaction. It is the nature of drugs in general in any animal. I just would rather a less costly intervention and if I can do so naturally or through better diet/some other solution I would gladly do so.

I can't afford the time to ween off if I do not have a plan though, which is why I am here.