View Single Post
Old March 6th, 2016, 12:34 AM

Puppy plays rough with Kitty

Hi,
I know this post is an old post but I was looking trough the forum for an answer and I think this post might be helpfull. I have pretty much the same trouble with my puppy, the difference is I do not believe in leashing a dog at all time and I certainly DO NOT believe in cages. Our puppy Loki's been with us since December. He is a powerfull huge Malamute Husky, very gentle, scaredy doggy and very submissive. he's very smart and loves to learn and learns all the basics tricks very easily, he's 4 months old. I have to say that all my life at my parent's house we've ALWAYS had dogs AND cats together AT ALL TIME. and NEVER was there an accident or something bad happening. We always had very good dogs and cats who were... cats lol defending themselves very easily.My problem is I have 3 cats --> 1year old-7year old-15 years old. My 7 and 15 years old and declawed inn the front, but they gained the respect of the dog very quckly. They hardly changed they routine except they are carefdull when walking around the house, even though the dog is so scared of them he doesn't chase them and when he does he gets a few hit in the face and growling he cries and walks away. The problem is Chester, my 1 year old kitty. Mister's decided he likes to be beaten up by the dog. Since the beginning they seem to want to play, Chester's a very playfull buddy and he's been going around the dog since day 1 to be chased or try to play. Like I read on this post, I think the problem is the dog's excitation escalate to a point where he hurts Chester. We weren't worried the last two months because when they played, even though Chester is crying very loudly and seem to be clashing his claws into the puppy's face often when he's on top of him, Chester seemed to enjoy himself. Not at all time tho. This is th eproblem, sometines the dog don't let go and bites very hard in the belly or the neck. Lately I saw a few fluffs of hair going around so I checked the cat. He is hurt, he's got very minimal small cuts around his next and shoulders. I've seen only a few cuts and not deep at all, more like a scratch. But anyway, I don't like that. Loki the dog is NOT the one going to investigate to have a play time, it's mostly the cat who will start roaming around the kitchen or living room, or even just go right in front of the dog and provoke him. Then he get's beaten up. Sometimes he likes to jump on a chair or a table and do some boxing on Loki's face, and Lokie doesn't bite back because he's scared. By the way, I forgot to say that Chester's the only cat of all three to have his claws -_- so what do I do? Let them know the boundries? Stop the dog when it starts to bite to hard? I wonder if the cat doesn't play an attention game with us too, because when we are not in the same room as them and they're playin', most of the time the cat won't make a noise or cry. But as soon as we enter the room and see them together, the cat will most likely starts criying.....
What shall we do? Any help please? and I will say again, NO leash and NO CAGE for me. The dog walks in the wood everyday with us with no leash, he as no fence in the backyard and goes out by himself and always stays very close by. He listens very easily like I said, he's a really good dog.

Thank you for a quick answer, I would just like to make sure I don't not have to worry for either one of my babies