View Single Post
Old February 17th, 2014, 06:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Troubles View Post
Maggie is a 7 year old DSH. She is spayed and declawed and entirely indoors.
Not sure if you had her declawed or if she was like that when you got her, but just so you know, declawing can be a major reason that cats stop using the litter box. http://www.pawproject.org/faqs/ Arthritis also tends to develop much earlier in declawed cats, and that can also have an impact on litter box usage.

Quote:
This home is a 2500 square foot rambler with the litter box at the opposite end of the house from the living room.
How many litter boxes (covered or uncovered?) do you have, what type of litter do use, and how often are they scooped?

Quote:
We switched food for the cats about July of last year and food for Justin around August of last year.
What do they eat?

Quote:
Maggie started using the living room as her powder room a short while after we moved in (before Sam) for all aspects of her potty needs.
Stress can often be a trigger for inappropriate elimination, and moving is highly stressful for cats. That initial anxiety of being in new territory may have set the habit of going outside the box. One thing to try would be to make the spot she's currently using less attractive by putting tinfoil in the area, and by making her litter boxes MORE attractive, by scooping them at least twice a day (if you don't already), using Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter, and adding more boxes if necessary. Maybe even putting a box or two in a different part of the house would help.

Quote:
Last week I had surgery and was laid up in bed for a couple days.
Was the litter box scooped twice a day during this time, or is there a chance it was neglected?

Quote:
I scolder her, rubbed her nose in it,
Very bad idea. Never ever scold a cat for going outside the box, you'll only add to her stress and exacerbate the whole situation.

Quote:
The next day I wake up to a pile in the same spot.
As barkingdog suggested, perhaps she needs a box in that spot for now, until you sort out what the issue is. Eventually you could ever so gradually move it (like by inches per day) to a spot you'd prefer.

Quote:
Maggie hauls off and bites him, so I swat her off. 2 hours later another pile in the same spot.
It really does sound like she's stressed about something. I'd recommend trying a couple of Feliway diffusers in the areas of the house that she hangs out the most.

In the meantime, some articles on litter box avoidance that might be helpful:
http://www.catinfo.org/?link=litterbox
http://www.hdw-inc.com/litterbox.htm

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler