View Single Post
Old September 30th, 2013, 08:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry about the kidney disease. I know how you feel as my cat has had ailing kidneys for over 3 years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyegy View Post
So I was thinking earlier, are subqs really helpful for them?
SubQs can help them feel better by flushing out toxins and maintaining better hydration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyegy View Post
Should I stop the subqs instead because it is stressing him out?
Instead of stopping, maybe experiment with different ways to help him accept the fluid administration. A few things I found made a big difference with my guy:
  • The type of fluids. For instance, I'm not sure why, but he much prefers Lactated Ringers over PlasmaLyte. The PlasmaLyte would make him squirm like crazy and it was a challenge getting the required amount into him. With the Lactated Ringers, he just sits and purrs, sometimes even falls asleep. Might have something to do with the ph or the electrolyte balance that caused the PL to sting. Ask your vet for a different brand or type of fluid to see if that helps.
  • Do you warm the fluids first? Even room temperature subQs will feel cold and weird, so heating them up a bit first in a sink of very warm water is preferable.
  • The gauge of the needle can be a big factor. Most vets seem to hand out the fat 18 gauge harpoons like it doesn't matter, but you can get finer needles (check out home medical supply stores - as a bonus, they'll probably also be cheaper). I like the Terumo 21g Ultra Thin Wall (UTW) ones (the higher the number, the thinner it is). More comfortable going in and the flow is still quite fast. 22g is also okay but the flow is a touch slower and if you have a squirmer, the faster one might be a better choice.
  • Make sure when you're giving fluids that your pup is in a comfy spot, hopefully even a little bit sleepy (like after some exercise and a meal). If you have someone who can help you, have them give your pup treats and/or gentle pets while you man the IV line. Give lots of praise, even if you can't get the whole amount in.
  • Eventually some pets will start to associate the fluids with feeling better and be more accepting of the procedure. Give it some time and see if that's the case with your guy.

Good luck! Whatever happens, your dog knows you love him with all your heart.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler