View Single Post
Old September 11th, 2013, 02:16 AM
Senior Contributor - Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJessy View Post

1) ...the anti-fungals that could work are very hard on the liver. It's not an easy situation and I've read systemic issues are basically considered fatal, regardless of the treatment.

2) We have heard, however, that a new urine culture may still grow A. flavus but that this still doesn't indicate a systemic issue. Do you know why that would be so? There was no explanation.

3) And if you have any ideas on how to get rid of this stubborn vaginitis, please let me know!

4) Oh and lastly, would a low-grade Cushings diagnosis mean the dog is immunocompromised even though her health seems fine? She has yet to be tested...
Answers:
1) there are two types of medications that are given systemically for fungal infections. Medications that inhibit growth and allow the body to fight the infection, ie fluconazole, etc and those that kill the fungus, ie amphotericin. For dogs, the first group is very safe and the second category is not safe for dogs. So yes, you are correct.

2) Urine cultures, regardless of what it finds are not considered "systemic" as it only indicates an infection within the urinary system. For an infection to be systemic, you need either a positive blood culture or multifocal positive cultures of the same organism in various locations in the body.

3) I am sure your research and vet has covered it but here are some basic ideas I tell my clients. If all of was covered, let me know and I will dig deeper. Some things that will help: a) weight loss. If there is obesity, the fat covers the vulva, allows urine and moisture to build up and changes the temperature of the area, b) keeping the area dry, c) cleaning the vulva with Malaseb swabs or alternatively white vinegar. I would do this every time she urinates and as often as possible, d) keeping her bedding and where she lays down very clean and dry, and e) potentially shaving the area if there is a lot of hair. When chronic vaginitis is present, the hair will start to keep in moisture and infection. These are some common recommendations.

4) Cushing's disease is hyperadrenocorticism. Keeping it simple: The gland of your body that produces steroids becomes functionally overactive. This can be the equivalent of giving large doses of prednisone. So, the short answer is yes. The longer answer, is that all things can be relative so not necessarily. Sorry - that this isn't as clear as we would like.

I hope this helps. I am not sure if I answered all of your questions. Please let me know.

PS - if I ever do not answer or anyone wants me to look at a question, please PM (Private Message) me on here. Thanks