Those are some good points, Barkingdog. Thankfully, I think a lot of shelters are getting better about allowing pets.
Our biggest threat here is forest fire. In case of fire we pack the following 6 Ps into the cars and bug out to farm country:
1. Pets (or Pack, as is the case here)
2. Provisions (food for the pets, mostly
3. Prescriptions (yep, mostly for the Pack, too
4. Pictures (nothing more precious than memories)
5. Papers (legal documents--most importantly, insurance documents)
6. Plastic (as in credit cards)
After that, we're sorta on our own, though, unless someone opens a shelter that allows lots of pets.
At least fire season usually means warmer weather and if we have to, we can find a campground till things settle back down...