View Single Post
Old January 7th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissPurryJess View Post
I got a call from the vet today - Daisy's pH is 7.5. Her urine is also very concentrated. It was only 2 weeks since the last test, so I don't know if that's why - if it hasn't had a chance to normalize since we switched their diet or what.
Is there a way for you to try testing her urine pH at home? You should be able to find test strips at a health food store, or you can order them online: http://www.amazon.com/PHion-Balance-.../dp/B000VRU4US I can give you tips on urine-catching if you need them.

Did the vet say exactly what the specific gravity value was? And was Daisy fasted at all before the test? That could affect both the pH and the USG. I don't think cats are typically fasted for a urinalysis, but thought I'd ask just in case.

Quote:
Have any of you heard of this version, though?

Instinct Limited Ingredient Turkey
Ohhhh, that looks like a great food! Must be new, I haven't seen it anywhere here yet either. And they have lamb as well....sweet! Aztec luvs him some lamby chops. Let me know what they say about the phosphorus level.

Quote:
I don't blindly do anything my doctor says - I like knowing WHY and HOW something will help me.
Amen sistah!! If more people thought like this, more doctors/vets/etc would have to be more accountable for their prescriptions and treatment plans, and maybe, just maybe, they would actually research the products they endorse rather than merely regurgitate the marketing from the product manufacturers (ie Big Pharma or Big Pet Food. Same diff.)

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler