View Single Post
Old December 28th, 2012, 08:40 AM

One thing, no matter the breed is that they can pick up another dog's bad habits very quickly. So even if that particular dog or breed isn't barky they might start to learn from Montana. Boone was never a barker or had any interest in rocks until Ranger came along, Ranger is a barker and is obsessed with rocks. It drive me mental that Boone has learned these two awful habits from him. Ranger also insists on bringing you a toy everytime he greets you, Woof a dog who has very little interest in toys has picked this habit up, but at least that is cute lol.

I've met a handful of Havanese and wow the puppies have been bouncy, happy suckers. I haven't yet met one that has a bad temper however I have been told by owners that they do need reminding and need to be firm with them or else they start to take over.

Pugs seem to be the same thing, very active little buggers as puppies (in short spurts) and seem to calm down once mature. I've met many a barky one though and overweight one which is downright abuse in my mind (for any dog).

A breed you might consider is the Japanese Chin. I met my first one and she was a wonderful dog, although nervous as the owner admitted she never socalized her. Also French Bulldogs, such character they have. Haven't met one I didn't like. I'm not a big lover of small dogs but Frenchies and Paps are two I wouldn't kick out of my home.

If you go the adoption route (can't go wrong with a rescue dog ) it's a matter of carefully explaining to the adoption group what you are looking for in a dog. Usually they are very helpful about matching you up with the right dog for your needs.

Another thing. Puppy with seniors. This can go very right or very wrong. Depending on the senior. Sometimes it really isn't fair to the senior dog to introduce a puppy, if they have health issues or are slightly grumpy, easily get stressed etc this can be hell for the senior and it may act out towards the puppy or even the people. You need to very much look at Montana and what she is like to determine if a puppy is in her best interest. I did it with Boone and my senior Lab mix Drifter. It was not a great choice, Drifter had bad arthritis and had never been a dog's dog. Boone was a crazy child and wanted nothing more to be Drifter's best friend and playmate. Drifter however tolerated him, but wouldn't think twice in putting him in his place without going too far. Towards the end of Drifter's life they had actually started to get along rather well, Drifter even tried to play sometimes. Two well matched adults will get along, you just need to find the right match and introduce them properly.