Thread: Pet limit
View Single Post
Old December 2nd, 2012, 12:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki Love View Post
Personally, I have no issues with limits. If there were no limits, you'd have the wrong people abusing it.
I disagree. I think there are other ways to target those who exploit not having a household pet limit (to the detriment of those animals), that doesn't infringe on the many people that CAN properly care for larger than "normal" numbers of pets. And who decides what the limit should be, and why? One person may be able to easily look after 10 cats, and another might suck at looking after 1. Just as with dogs and BSL, I think it should be a case-by-case thing, not a blanket law applied to all situations.

The Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw

Quote:
What is a Responsible Pet Owner?
Animal & Bylaw Services does not advocate limiting the number of pets or breed specific legislation. This is because we believe that poor animal behaviour results from a failed relationship between pet and owner. Therefore, Animal & Bylaw Services advocates responsible pet ownership based on the following five principles:
  • License and provide permanent identification for pets.
  • Spay or neuter pets.
  • Provide training, physical care, socialization and medical attention for companion pets.
  • Do not allow pets to become a threat or nuisance in the community.
  • Procure your pet ethically and from a credibable source.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler