Thread: techni-cal
View Single Post
Old March 10th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Owned by goldens

Dog food

If you are looking for a better food and can afford a better quality then I would look to other brands.
The chicken meal is okay but the corn is a no/no. This is an exerpt from the Whole Dog Journal, February issue on dog food and the meat ingredients.

"We look for foods that contain a lot of high-quality animal proteins. We like manufacturers to disclose the approximate percentage of meat, poultry, or fish in their food, but they rarely will, so we look for foods that appear to have lots of animal protein. Ingredients are listed in order or their weight, so ideally a food will have one or two animal proteins in the first few ingredients. Understand that whole meat (chicken, beef, lamb, etc.) contains a lot of water weight. If a food list starts out with chicken, and there is no other animal protein listed until 7th or 8th on the list, the food does not actually contain a lot of animal protein. But if it starts out with chicken, and chicken (or another animal) “meal” (essentially dehydrated chicken) is number two or three on the list, chances are the product contains an admirable amount of animal protein. Animal proteins tend to be more digestible and palatable..."

Again it depends on what you can afford and what is easily accessible in your area. I myself have been travelling an hour and half once a month to buy the Solid Gold, Wolf King for my dogs. After doing my research I liked the ingredients and my dogs have the most beautiful coats. Their ears are always clean and no skin problems so far. I don't suggest anyone else travel as I do and I do combine my trips with other shopping so I kill two birds with one stone.
If I were you I would look for a food with as little as possible corn and wheat.