View Single Post
Old June 4th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

14+ has given you some great advice. The best way, of course to train a kitten is by having at least 2.

In the absence of that, consistency, consistency, consistency of no playing with hands or feet rule, not even one time. If the kitten does bite/scratch a firm No and then the kitten should be re-directed towards a toy he can bite. If you are trying to pat the kitten and the kitten is playing, then I would follow the kitten's lead and get a toy to play with. You just can't reason with them .

Kittens also like to "rabbit kick" their larger toys. Puddles liked tennis balls that I would roll and bounce on the floor and she would chase it, put it against her tummy and kick at it. Snowball liked stuffies that were about his size when he was a kitten, that I would get down on the floor, hold out the stuffie, make the ears move, or wiggle it gently as if it was his prey, then as he pounced on it, I would let go and he would "rabbit kick" it. It's a great way for them to release some pent up energy.

Also, a tired kitty, is a good kitty. Toys as basic as a piece of cloth tied at the end or a long shoe lace or string that you drag behind you will entertain and exhaust him. If you have a long hallway, or a staircase, you can use a small toy mouse to throw for them to chase.

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey