Thread: The TJTwitter
View Single Post
Old June 3rd, 2012, 12:35 PM
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Ya, swallows are not the easiest subjects!!

All 5 phoebe babes have their heads above the edge of the nest this morning. When mom sits on them at night, she's pretty high up! Looks like if someone shrugged, they'd push her right off! Sorta like the dogs and us on the bed!! I have pics as soon as I get a chance to do some editing.

Just spent an hour trying to lure a hummer out of the garage. Luckily we feed them here so they know what a feeder looks like. She finally came down to a feeder we hung out there when we noticed her. After she was done drinking, linked a couple of 9-inch hangers together to drop the feeder another foot-and-a-half to put her below the level of the open door where she could see the trees outside. Took another half hour before she needed to drink again, and when she did you could almost see the lightbulb go on her head. "Aha! That looks like the way out!" And away she zoomed!! Yay!

Odd how birds always seem to fly up when they're stressed, even though the light source is from below.... At any rate, she's none the worse for wear. I just hope her eggs are okay--she was off the nest for somewhere between an hour and two hours as far as we can tell....

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."