View Single Post
Old April 7th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Great info on the Inuit. So are you thinking the best diet is one very low in carbs (btw, that's my thinking for humans and definitely for my cats)?

Interesting read on the rancid fish. Did you know that cats will attempt to bury their food that they don't eat immediately and will dig it up the next day to eat it ? There was a member on here a few years ago, named Want4rain who fed her cats a raw diet and they would bury their food. I've also seen my Rose do that when she caries a piece of raw carcass out to her pen, then continue to munch on it the next day.

Here is some info on blubber: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blubber

Seal blubber has large amounts of vitamin E, selenium, and other antioxidants, which may reduce the effect of the free radicals formed within the body's cells. Damage caused to cells by free radicals are a theorized contributor to some diseases. Whale blubber, which tastes like arrowroot biscuits, has similar properties.[7] The positive effects of consuming blubber can be seen in Greenland; in Uummannaq for example, a hunting district with 3,000 residents, no deaths due to cardiovascular diseases occurred in the 1970s. However, emigrants to Denmark have contracted the same diseases as the rest of the population. The average 70-year-old Inuit with a traditional diet of whale and seal has arteries as elastic as those of a 20-year-old Danish resident.[8]

We must be careful to distinguish between blubber and other fat.

I've had a huge buck taken down by a pack of coyotes in my back yard a few years ago. The first night, they devoured the intestines, most of the meat, the brain. What was left behind, the stomach, one leg no meat eaten, and the rest of the carcass with just pretty much bone left. As soon as the coyotes had the deer down, they called to the rest of the pack and there was about 30 running from all directions to get a piece of the deer. It was not an organized meal, but each coyote trying to get what ever they could. It took all of about 15 minutes for them to devour it. The next night the coyotes came and dragged off every bone and the only thing left behind was the stomach that had the remains of his dinner. They are hungry animals and they leave nothing behind because they don't know when their next meal will be. For them, the fat that they ate would be precious calories and am wondering if in total, they still consume less fat than what would be in domesticated meat .

I truly believe that getting our vitamins in their natural state is much better than getting them in chemical form.

I did see evidence in my senior cat, Puddles, when I changed her diet from a kibble to a quality canned/raw diet. It was huge and it took only a few months to see differences in her. If I had more confidence in my recipe, I would feed only raw, but I worry too much one the phosphorus/calcium ratio that is so very important to cats. Her fur became thicker, less greasy and she became more energetic.

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey