View Single Post
Old April 6th, 2012, 01:33 AM

Roxy, Food, Allergies, BARF Possibilities

Namaste, Myka. - (late note: - dah, I didn't see dog's size till late. Will update or add more tomorrow.)

May I suggest you read a very interesting article by Vilhjalmu Stefansson, a Canadian born in Gimli Man. 1879 who was a Canadian Arctic explorer and ethnologist who worked in the frozen northlands and the US. (see Wikipedia). He is famous for a number of things but of particular interest is his view on food for both human and animal. Here is the site: http://www.biblelife.org/stefansson1.htm

In the least, it is an interesting read. At more or even most, it sheds an interesting light on the possibilities of what is necessary for sustainable health when stuffing the most important hole in one’s body. I’m not going to editorialise further but will leave you to your reading, his story, I hope.

But you asked for suggestions so here they rip.
Note on pouchy food. Have you thought of the BARF diet? That is suggestion #2.

Suggestion #3:
What if you fed one food at a time for three to five days for each single food to see how Roxy’s allergies fair; say first round - raw turkey and turkey bones; second round - raw salmon. Superstore often has frozen pinks for 59 in Calgary and at times has really ugly fresh salmon bits (heads, fins and undefinable parts but people actually use the stuff for soup). Ugly is even cheaper than frozen; third round - beef (some liver) and bones of course- ribs , lamb, or chicken, etc. Reaction foods can be tried again in a month or two. If a food causes no bad events, you are up one.

If Roxy has not underweight, then you might think of small feedings three or four a day. My wee corgi became porko corgi with the amount I at first fed her. She should have had a few ounces of food a day instead of half pound. Meat, foul and fish are very caloric packed. Small meals of a strange food should be less likely to stress the stomach.

Lastly, following the BARF protocol, especially with lots of bones, the annal problem will be a nightmare of the past. With enough bones in the diet, Roxy’s eyes will cross with pushing which will strain the annal glands (but not the eyes) enough to empty and cleans themselves. I believe that this is a good example of where the BARF diet shows its strength. My previous dog always had to have her annal glans cleaned by the vet. I tried but couldn’t figure it out even with demonstration. I wish I had stop to think about it but obviously, it is not normal for an animal to have this problem. Over the 15 months Sadie has been on BARF, her straining has greatly decreased. Her poops are not smelly, are very small and within a day or two turn to grey in colour and to powder. Good for the grass. Step, crush and fertilise. No more poop pickup.

I never feed any weight bearing bones to my Sadie. Chicken necks, wings, feet, body cavities, heads if you can get them, are all good for the cause. No word for picky when it comes to canines. Sadie played with and licked her first chicken foot, but once she got the idea, she couldn’t keep her eyes off the feet of the local chicken out for a walk, the teasers. I do cleaver off the cartilage and softer bone parts around the end of weight bearing bones. I also smack up weight bearing bones and scrape out the nutritious goop in them.

As noted, one reason for small servings more often, especially in the beginning, is that an animal’s system won’t be so over loaded with new things. When Sadie was small, she got into a package of raw ground beef and had the pink trots. A small amount would not have bothered her.

An example of food I am presently serving Sadie to get a few pounds down is 50 grams two times a day of meat and and more if the meat has bone with it. Not much, I know, but she is on a diet. Near bed time she gets 20 grams tinned Sardines in tomato sauce spread over and around the reinforcement sides and bottom of the black bottom part of a store cooked chicken. It takes her some time to clean it out. Or I give her two small thin slices of beef liver I have frozen. I maker her fight me for it. I hold, she tugs. She licks my fingers. We're bonding. Seriously, I try to hand feed her as much as possible. She realises where the food comes from, me, and in her old age she's finally beginning to get the picture that I'm not just the oaf who lets her out to do her do or take her for walks - or car rides (which she hates).

She’s now elderly and showing it and though she’s close to a good weight, which is rare in the World of Corgi, I want to take more weight off her legs. She is a little north of 29 lbs and my dream is to be down by mid summer to 24 lb but I would be happy enough with 26 and Sadie would be happy with 40 lbs but has dreams of fifty. It is virtually impossible to stuff a corgi. They are never happy, food wise.

You talked about costs. If you have a Chinese grocery store, check it out. Check out real butcher shops. You may get cuttings and some things cheaper. My butcher shop sells me chicken cavities which have a fair amount of meat on them for 40 a lb. That does Sadie two meals and a snack.

I am presently researching fat in a dogs life. I have posted a thread in this forum on it. If no interest is shown I will drop the subject but I am very interested in truth in facts from science. We will see.

Cheers,
mhikl

Last edited by mhikl; April 6th, 2012 at 01:42 AM. Reason: clarity