View Single Post
Old March 21st, 2012, 11:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floppy Dog View Post
So my basic questions are:

Does feeding raw reduce the chances of renal (kidney, bladder and urinary tract) problems in older cats?
Since chronic dehydration plays a big role in disorders related to the renal/urinary tract system, and a moisture deficient diet of kibble results in chronic dehydration, then absolutely a moisture-rich raw diet can help in that regard. Plus the higher quality, less processed ingredients are better for overall health.

Quote:
How do you transition a cat from kibble to raw?
In some case, going from kibble to canned and then raw might be easier but you'll have to experiment a bit to see what works for your cat. An older cat that's only eaten dry his whole life might be a little tougher to convert since dietary preferences and eating habits tend to be set early in life. Some cats don't even recognize fresh meat as food! However, I firmly believe that with enough patience and persistence, ALL cats can eventually make the switch. Here are some links to help with that process:
How to transition your cat to a raw diet
A Practical Guide: Transitioning Your Cat to a Raw Diet

How to Win the Healthy Food Battle with Your Fussy Feline, part 1,
How to Win the Healthy Food Battle with Your Fussy Feline, part 2,

Quote:
Can you feed kibble and raw together or do you have to time meals the way you do for a dog (12 hours apart, I understand)?
You can use kibble to encourage a kitty to try a raw diet by pulverizing it and sprinkling it on top. I wouldn't make a habit of feeding them together over the long-term because the high carb content of dry food alters stomach acidity and may interfere with proper digestion of the raw meat. More on that here: http://feline-nutrition.org/answers/...-the-same-time

Quote:
How do you ween a cat from being free-fed to set mealtimes?
Some info on that in the links above. I'd suggest offering frequent meals at first if you can (like 4-5 times a day, eventually going to 3x/day as your kitty adjusts). It's also possible to leave some canned food out for snacking if you need to. That's actually what I do - feed 3 raw meals a day and leave a bit of canned down to augment.

Hope that helps!

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler