View Single Post
Old February 28th, 2012, 04:06 PM

How Jack the Ripper Might Have Fed His Puppy

Amas, go crazy with the rolling pin, the chicken carcass, not the pup. Put towel over the carcass sos not to splash a fine mess as you do the deed. Be relentless but put a smile on your face as you tie into the beast as I find I actually get angry being too determined in my attack.

I do the same with chicken necks and they stay together with the bones all broken and then I hand feed my corgi. I hold the neck with a piece of cloth as the neck is easily yanked out of my hand by my dog. The dog then naturally starts to use her side back teeth to grind and break up the neck. My exuberant Corgi (Im being polite) has learned to be quite gentle with my fingers and never bites or hurts them. (Handing a neck over in one piece to Sadie and she does a few chomps and the non-pounded neck is gone in a blink and she is still hungry.)

Feeding by hand also has made my Sadie realise I am connected with her food. I think she used to worship the dog bowl more than me. Now, and shes just turned 11,
she is more loving with the affirmation that I am Lord of the Food Rations.

Cut up heart and steak so the grain is easier for her to pull apart as you hold the little but long pieces for her to pull apart (or tenderise with the meat tenderising hammer). Skin or have the butcher skin the liver first and then the long pieces you hold will be easier for your pet to tear apart. You can just chop it up but the time with the dog makes the ritual so much more personal.

I dry my egg shells and then grind them. I then just mix the powder with low fat hamburger and a tiny bit of Braggs cider vinegar (good enzymes Ive read). Also check out salmon for your little guy. It is not as smelly as some fish and the bones will be easily chewed on. Again, attack with the rolling pin, rolling fashion, over sliced pieces between waxed paper or cellophane. You can do this to a whole fish and then freeze in little packages. Do this trick for all your foods to save time over the long run.

Do a lot of chopping with actual meat and chicken skin parts. I always add a little water (half cup for 28 lb Sadie) and a few drops (half tsp) of the cider to her chopped meals.

Remember to cook the egg whites as they are more easily digested this way. I believe they not be healthy otherwise. The yolks are best raw.

I suspect you will eventually be able to just feed your pet from the bowl once he has learned what to do. I remember the first time I gave a chicken foot to Sadie. She sniffed, she played, she tossed it around. Then I took to tormenting it on the cutting board with the back body of the knife sharpener and once Sadie saw a few tears in the skin were evident, she proved to be the little carnivore I had come to love.

I suspect heart is the perfect meat for dogs and it is usual fairly cheap and packed with nutrition. Liver, tripe, lung and intestine and smashed up neck and back bones; your little guy will be in his glory. And hey, youll be in prime condition should some creepy purse snatcher ever try to catch you off guard.