View Single Post
Old February 7th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flufflypatitas View Post
A couple weeks ago, I noticed that her eyes are fully dilated... && they have been pretty much that way ever since... Sometimes they get slightly smaller. I asked the vet about it, && asked him about Glaucoma. He said I shouldn't be too worried, that he doesn't seem to think she had that,. && that he has seen in older cats, that sometimes their eyes get that way from old age, && from not feeling well.

OMG your vet is an idiot!!! Please take your kitty to someone else. Dilated pupils can be a sign of high blood pressure, which is very common with hyperT kitties. And given that she also has tachycardia (another side effect of hyperT), I suggest making sure the new vet gets to the bottom of this. Has she ever had her blood pressure checked?

Quote:
From all her symptoms, I have though Diabetes, CRF/RF/CKD && Hyperparathyroidism.
Has she had blood work to check for these?

Quote:
He did say her urine was very dilute && there was SOME glucose in her urine, but he didn't feel it was enough to raise concern. He also mentioned she is slightly anemic, but not enough to raise concern.
He doesn't seem concerned about much, does he. The urine glucose should most certainly be looked into. A fructosamine blood test can determine whether it's there from stress-induced hyperglycemia or if she's running higher than normal blood glucose levels over a period of time. Hind leg neuropathy can be one of the symptoms of diabetes. Anemia can be from CRF. Can you get a copy of her more recent lab results and post them here? I'm curious to know what her latest T4 results are, and what other blood tests have been done.

Quote:
but sometimes I need her to eat, regardless of how healthy it might be.
Absolutely! Although it would be best to get to the bottom of why she's become picky. CRF (which is often related to hyperT) can be one cause. Also I would stop trying to add things to her food in case she's developing a negative association with them.

Sometimes injectable cobalamin (vit B12) can help with both the anemia and appetite, and it's much easier to administer than oral B12 (which most cats find distasteful). Ask your (new) vet about it.

Quote:
She will not go in her litter box anymore,
She's probably just not able to get into it. Can you find one with even lower sides, maybe some sort of shallow tray or just the lid of a rubbermaid bin? Or else try cutting down one of the sides to make it easier for her. If she's peeing a lot, you may need to clean the litter box several times a day or add a few more boxes in various spots around the house so she doesn't have to go far to get to one.

Quote:
On bare floor, she has a hard time, because she has no traction, so it's like watching Bambi, because it's slippery.
Maybe put some area rugs or carpet runners in places where she needs to walk so that she doesn't slip.

Quote:
We have been though 7 different vets int he last 5 or so years... I have found my experience to be that the vets has no idea WTF they are doing, are RUDE, stuck up, snobby, && make you feel uncomfortable asking questions, are idiots, or just simply trying to suck as much money out of you as possible && don't really give a rat's ass about anything other than money.
Horrible!!! Is there a holistic or cat-only vet anywhere near you? Someone a friend or family member can recommend? Maybe a teaching hospital?

Quote:
When we switched her over to wet food from dry, Diabetes was talked about && I mentioned if we should be testing her glucose levels every day, && the vet told me that was stupid, since cat's eat the same thing every day, there is no reason to monitor their glucose more than every few months.
Absolutely ignorant. I wish there was an "eject" button for those kinds of vets. How did they ever graduate from school????

Quote:
If anyone has any suggestions, I would LOVE to hear them, or ideas, thoughts, anything, please!
You could test her urine yourself with Diastix (from the pharmacy) to see if she's spilling any glucose into her urine. That would be the cheapest way to rule out diabetes.

Quote:
The vet mentioned that her liver values && kidney values are slightly elevated, but that could also be because of the Prednislone that she's on.
Could also be from kidney issues, diabetes, and hyperT. Not sure if you know this, but steroid use can cause diabetes, and shouldn't be used in cats that have it already (or are borderline) unless there is no other option.

Quote:
Hopefully I can get all of her paperwork today, so that I can post ALL of her values for you guys to see, because I know that will help a lot.
Yes please! Post her blood and urine results from her last few tests, with the normal reference ranges in brackets next to them.

Quote:
I am seeing a Holistic vet, the second so far. Of course, he also uses Western/Traditional medicine as well.
Is this the one that doesn't seem to care if she's anemic or spilling glucose, etc?

Quote:
I have added a bit to my girl kitties food, even though it is not her prescription, but I haven't been able to tell if it is helping or not.
Famotidine might work better if it's given before food or on an empty stomach. You can use Pepcid A/C (not "Complete") from the pharmacy and give her 1/4 to 1/2 in a Pill Pocket.

I really feel for you!! Sounds like there is a serious lack of decent vets in your area. Where are you located?

Crossing my fingers that we can figure something out.....

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler