View Single Post
Old January 26th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Thanks Chico I really appreciate your support at this time, I just took him some more of the mixture I made and he spit it out. I took a handful of his scruff and it returned to normal immediately so he must be drinking even though the water in the bowl doesn`t seem to be going idea what that is about. I took away the bowl of rice in broth with a very small amount of washed ground beef I had put in front of him earlier that he hadn`t touched and then changed his water to fresh ice water. He drank a bit and I`ve decided that he`s not going to get any food at all for at least 24 hours and hopefully he`ll keep drinking.

The only drawback that I can see with the water only is that it has no sodium or potassium in it to help replace the body electrolytes that he`ll need after his diarrhea. Since he spit out the mixture I doubt he`ll drink it if I add it to his water.

He does respond more this afternoon than he was this morning so I am less pessimistic now.

I just spoke to the most experienced vet tech at the office and yesterday I didn't give him his metacam, but she told me I must give it to him or he's going to be in a lot more pain. I didn't give it to him yesterday because I thought that it might be causing the diarrhea and it also is not supposed to be given on an empty stomach, so I'm not sure what to do now.
Willing Slave to: Sam 17 yrs; Bailey 14 yrs; and Smokey 10 yrs.
R.I.P. Raggs 1997-2012 ; Pepper 1997-2009 ; Tiger 2000 - 2014;
"Please do not breed or buy while shelter pets are left to die"

Last edited by dbg10; January 26th, 2012 at 05:03 PM.