Thread: Royal Canin
View Single Post
Old February 11th, 2004, 06:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Royal Canin 1st 10 ingredients:
Chicken meal, brown rice, chicken, oatmeal, potato starch, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), dried tomato pomace, natural flavors, fish meal, dried egg product,

Canidae 1st 10:
Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, White Rice, Lamb Meal, Chicken Fat, (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Ascorbic Acid), Menhaden Fish Meal, Flax Seed, Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil,

Innova 1st 5:
Turkey
Chicken
Chicken Meal
Whole Ground Barley
Whole Ground Brown Rice

The first two most important things to look at (IMHO) is high meat content and naturally preserved (no BHA, BHT etc.) Also corn, soy, low quality grain leftovers like brewers rice, corn gluten meal, beet pulp etc are NOT things I'd want to see on the list.

For my money, Canidae is one of the best kibbles on the market, it's priced the same as Iams.Euk etc, but MUCH higher quality. And it will work out cheaper b/c you'd need to feed less. My 115lb Rottweiler got 3 cups a day, on Iams/Euk he needed 5-6 cups per day to maintain weight. Also Iams etc gave him nasty poos and gas. This was back when I still fed kibble...
I think Royal Canin is OK but kind of pricey for the quality. Innova is good too...I think switching around brands frequently is a good idea. No need to stick to one brand all the time! That just narrows the ingredient range over the life of the dog, and makes them have "sensitive" stomachs, which is something we create by feeding them only one thing for life. Dogs are scavenger/carnivores, they naturally have very robust stomachs.

Here's my #1 best website for everything you want to know about doggie diets, including how to understand kibble labels & choose a good food:
http://www.bowchow.com/dogfeeding.html