View Single Post
Old September 3rd, 2011, 11:22 PM

Thanks for all your good wishes, they keep me going, let alone what they do for Raggs.

We had a little set back a few days ago but fortunately it seems to have passed and he appears to be on the mend again.

Raggs barfed 3 times 2 days ago and really didn't retain much of the food he ate. Overnight he was passing gas and did have a formed poop. So I'm really hoping he hasn't a bowel obstruction but as far as I know he has eaten nothing that would make him sick so I think the worst.

I called my vet yesterday to see if there was anything I could give him that I have here in the house but she said she was leaving in 1/2 hour for the long weekend and wouldn't bb until Tuesday but told me which vets were open around here for at least part of the weekend. The only thing she suggested was to give him chicken broth and try to give him a modified diet of ground beef and rice to see if he could retain it. I did that, he ate the beef and ignored the rice. Then I gave him chicken noodle soup, until a few minutes before I wrote this he had only drank the broth from the soup. Then he ate the rest of the soup, pasta and vegetables and what remained to the broth. I gave him some beef in broth and he didn't barf after eating the soup. So far he didn't barf yesterday or today but he also hadn't had any solids until late last other than the ground beef he ate earlier. The only new item I've been giving him in the last week was a rollover style log I bought at global pet foods that is supposed to be organic food. It is soft and smells like bologna with supposedly bits of carrots and peas in it. My son bought the 6lb size for $14.00. because it appears my Global no longer carries Rollover.

It is made by a company called "Freshpet" of Secaucus, NJ FreshPet® Deli Fresh ® and is called "Deli fresh' and says "Gently Cooked With Fresh Ingredients Chicken, Vegetable and Rice Formula ReadyTo Serve, complete and balanced for adult dogs" "Dog Food with Natural with added vitamins and minerals. High Quality protein rich chicken and eggs, wholesome vegetables & brown rice, multi source fiber system helps maintain digestive health, rich in omega 6 & 3 fatty acids.
It also says on their website that this flavour is Chicken, Vegetable and Rice Formula and the other flavour available from this company is Turkey Vegetable and Rice Formula.

"Deli Fresh® Chicken, Vegetable & Rice Formula is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for all life stages.
Available in 1 LB, 2 LB, 6 LB."

Ingredients from their website include:

Ingredients:
"Fresh Chicken, Eggs, Chicken Liver, Chicken Broth,Carrots, Brown Rice, Peas, Rice Bran, Dried Kelp, Carrageenan, Natural Flavors, Salt, Inulin, Flaxseed Oil, Green Tea Extract."

On the package label of Deli-Fresh that my son purchased the ingredients are the following:

Ingredients:
Chicken, Eggs, Chicken Liver, Chicken Broth, Carrots, Brown Rice, Peas,Rice Bran, Dried Kelp, Carrageenan, Natural Flavors, Salt, Inulin, Flaxseed Oil, Green Tea Extract, Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, Ferrous Sulphate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Proteinate, Copper Sulphate, Manganese Proteinate, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Riboflavin Supplement, Manganous Oxide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite.

FreshPet® Deli Fresh® Adult Chicken and Vegetable & Rice Formula is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Prophiles for maintenance. Calorie Content (calculated): 1318 kcal ME per kg, 300 kcal per 1/2 lb. Freshpet® Dedicated to helping pets live long and healthy lives.

I found when I licked my fingers after giving him pieces of it that the meat tasted spicey and one orangey-red piece that I dug out of it tasted very spicey to me and I thought it was a piece of red pepper, but nothing like that definitely is not mentioned among the ingredients on the label. I didn't give it to him last night and because of my back can't get to a store to buy some rollover for him. I had already decided I wasn't giving it to him again, though he seemed to really like it. Our Global does not accept returns, nor does it carry rollover other than this crap now. I am a bit hopeful that this is what upset his stomach and my fears of progression of the cancer are unfounded at present.

We of course in the middle of all this both yesterday and today had a couple of thunderstorms, so he came and lay beside me. He didn't leave that position until I went to bed and I'm happy about that because I have been able to give him a good scratch and pat all afternoon and evening on both days. He was fine during the storm after he lay down beside me. Fortunately I didn't have to go out either yesterday or today.

He is now begging for food and seems to be feeling better. As I've had the Deli fresh stick on my lap, he's been begging me for some but I have no intention of giving it to him again.

Last edited by dbg10; September 3rd, 2011 at 11:31 PM. Reason: remove formatting