View Single Post
Old August 25th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoose View Post
I am no expert on pet nutrition but from years of owning dogs, I can say that the "best" food is one that your pet does well on. Good energy, good disposition, minimal itching, etc. If that happens to be Dog Chow, then so be it.

I am sure that people who rally against Science Diet, Royal Canin, and especially Dog Chow, Pro Plan, Iams etc are well intentioned. But the reality is the majority of pets eat commercially produced non holistic dog food and live happy healthy lives.
No disrespect intended at all, kmoose, but I have to disagree. I used to be of the same belief until one of my beautiful boys developed some horrible issues which are believed to be caused (at least in part) by the food. He was on Medi-Cal Gastro for the last couple of years, and as far as we knew, was doing amazing on it. No more bouts of colits, no waking up to puddles of dried bile every morning etc. Last summer, he developed bladder stones and had to have surgery for them at almost 11 yrs old. It was horrible. The clinic sent the stones to be analyzed and called us to say take him off the food right away. The ingredients were found to be a very big contributing factor. Ok, so we can live with stones. We just need to change his diet. Now that he's off that food, everything is great, right? Nope. Shortly after being taken off that food he developed a cough. We had taken him in several times. They just said he had Kennel Cough, then it was trachea irritation, etc. He coughed up a HUGE pile of mucus while we were at work one day. I immediately took him in again and they finally did an x-ray. He had a lung tumor. I won't go in to all the details, but to make an already longer story shorter, he has a very rare form of cancer that is part of a bigger, immune-related disorder.

Our holistic vet explained how kibble is processed in the body. The chemicals used along with the actual processing causes a rush of sugar in the blood stream, which feeds the cancer cells and is very hard on the digestive system which is why most dogs have to be switched from brand to brand slowly, otherwise, they end up with diarrhea a/o vomiting. He said when feeding raw or home cooked, you don't have to make that slow transition (and he's right. We have done that several times now with both of ours on the home cooked) because the foods are natural and the system can digest it much easier . Kibble has been linked to immune system disorders and cancer in dogs many times over. Had I know this, I would never have fed any of my dogs kibble. Especially the cheaper brands. Unfortunately, we don't typically learn these things until a situation arises that we have to.If the ingredients list "animal digest" instead of naming the specific animal, it could have come from a road kill or uethanised animal
Ok, so a lot of dogs could probably eat road kill and be ok. But the euthanised animal? Nope. Think of the chemicals that are used to put an animal to "sleep".

He is one of the creators of Orijen, but still doesn't reccomend it. He helped to develope it for people who absolutely won't feed anything but kibble because at least it's a higher quality, but still not good. Sadly, we do not see the slow poisoning that kibble does to our pets over the years. As already stated, we attribute it to aging etc.

Look at this ingredient list and tell me you truly believe what you said above:

"I am no expert on pet nutrition but from years of owning dogs, I can say that the "best" food is one that your pet does well on. Good energy, good disposition, minimal itching, etc. If that happens to be Dog Chow, then so be it. "

Ingredients
Whole grain corn, poultry by-product meal (could be a road kill pigeon), [B]animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols [/B](could be any kind of animal. Road kill, died from disease or euthanized) (form of Vitamin E), corn gluten meal, meat and bone meal (again, what kind of meat?), brewers rice, soybean meal (extremely common allergen in dogs), barley, whole grain wheat (extremely common allergen in dogs), animal digest (what kind of animal?), calcium carbonate, salt(could be a serious issue for dogs who are hypothyroid. Why the need for salt?), calcium phosphate, potassium chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, added color (Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 2, Yellow 6), DL-Methionine, manganese sulfate, manganese proteinate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, copper sulfate, calcium pantothenate, copper proteinate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, Vitamin B-12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate, Vitamin D-3 supplement, riboflavin supplement, calcium iodate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite.
S-4101

Again, the ingredients in this food are horrid. The sad thing is, there are worse foods out there. The cheaper brands who don't specify the animal used are most likely using diseased/dying and euthanised animals of all kinds. If someone tuly loves their pet and insist on kibble, even with all the studies out there against it, I would hope they would at least use a higher quality that specifically names the ingredients and stays away from the common allergens. Please don't take my word for any of this. Do your own research. There is plenty of information out there for people who are actually intersed in improving the health of ther beloved family members. It's too late for my precious Thorin
But I won't make that mistake again.

Sorry for hijacking, Myka

As for the protein, I think it's great for working dogs/very active dogs, but I agree with the statement that it's like putting a couch potato on a body builders diet

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012