View Single Post
Old August 25th, 2011, 04:15 AM

Back in Jan 2010, her CRE = 1.6 mg/dl, and BUN = 40.0 mg/dl. At that time, the vet didn't seem concerned about her numbers.

However, in May 2011, her CRE = 2.5 mg/dl, and BUN = 43.5 mg/dl. This is when she said she thinks she has CRF.

A re-check in July 2011 was CRE = 1.7 mg/dl, and BUN = 35.1 mg/dl. This was after I switched her from EVO Wild Cravings dry to Science Diet Active Maturity canned and dry (which is low phosphorous but full of junk fillers....)

The UTIs started about 2 months after I had switched her food, and I suspect it may have unfortunately been caused by the excess grain/filler (corn and soy are high in oxalates) in the Science Diet food.

It is unfortunate for both me and my cat that I am in Japan where I have access to only one vet (on base) and she is Japanese, so communication is occasionally difficult. I also have very limited access to a variety of catfood.

Gollum is now on the Prescription c/d for Bladder Health dry and I guess we shall see what is still there in a month. Still junky food in my opinion, but I have no choice now.

Once the stones are removed, I will go back to a high-quality low phosphorous canned food for her (I'm thinking the EVO 95% chicken and turkey; she doesn't care for the Organix and they all have seafood which my cats aren't used to anyway.)

That is interesting that your cats had urinary issues from seafood. I just recently started the Omega-3 fish oil after reading that it was a good supplement for CRF cats. I'll have to look into the RenAvast.

That link describing oxalate stones is very useful. Thank you. I tend to suspect that the stones are indeed oxalate (not struvite) and that this change in diet is not going to help. But I will certainly be happy if they do dissolve and surgery isn't necessary!